Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Milk revisited



The other night my fiance and I watched MILK with Sean Penn. I got on my soapbox and on why it is important to discuss with children that there is nothing wrong with people who are gay, and that we should discourage them from using the words fag and queer as insults to other students. I said we need to set an example by not using those words as insults (a bad habit of his roommates).

He told me to get off my high horse, but I think some of what I said has sunk in. Today he went to vote no on an amendment that was essentially encouraging discrimination against gays, lesbians, and transgendered individuals.

I couldn't believe it! I was so proud of him for going out of his way to help someone who's plight didn't necessarily effect him. The nicest part of the whole experience was that our voting precinct is in the Harn Art Museum. So we were able to wander around after getting our "I Voted" stickers and look at the exhibits.

I love him so much. I love that he listens to my rants and actually takes my viewpoints into consideration. I love that he was willing to take time out of his day to go vote. I loved that he was happy walking around the art museum with me. I'm so lucky to have him.

More information about amendment 1

No comments: