Sunday, August 12, 2012

Zig Zag Rug



I loved this rug pictured in the Style at Home 100+ Best Designer Secrets magazine and once again I got  busy rug painting.

I used this tutorial from Pinterest, and I found this indoor/outdoor rug on sale for $20 last month, and I used leftover paint from when I painted the baby's room.

Source: curbly.com via Jayme on Pinterest
























I LOVE design magazines, but it is rare that I can actually put ideas to practice. This is because we rent, and it is hard to make sweeping changes to a house you don't own. Also, this is because I have to do these projects in ten minute increments, thanks to my lovable, but nap-averse baby. I need projects that are fairly simple to complete and this couldn't have been simpler. There wasn't even any measuring involved.

Anywho, this is the final result.


I put it in our odd little library, made more odd in the past few months by it's inclusion of a hammock, ugly hammock stand, and our Ode to Newfoundland cardboard moose head. I might be hanging a ukelele in there too.



It is intensely busy in that room. My husband won't even go in there. The baby and I have a lot of cuddle time in that hammock though. And I have a hard time parting with books and art. So decluttering that room has been slow going.

And now I added a rug! Go figure.

Back to the rug.

It needs another few coats of white paint, but I'm trying to pinch some design pennies, and I was literally scraping the paint can to get enough paint down. These rugs absorb the paint quickly, although it is a good thing because any mistakes you make with your first coat fades out. For example, the dog walked across the rug while I was painting it, and got little paw prints everywhere, but you really have to scrutinize the carpet to see them.




This is a picture of it after one coat of paint, just to give you an idea of the disappearing paint phenomenon.




And here again is the final project.





I still have two more rugs I'd like to attempt. One is a playmat for my girlie inspired by this awesome post, and one is for my slowly coming together dining room.

In fact I might move this rug into the dining room, to replicate the magazine picture a little more.

If you want to see the post on my last rug painting attempt, check it out here.

Anyone have any ideas for how I should decorate them? Anyone else on a rug painting kick? 

No comments: