Thursday, February 4, 2010

Handbook for Life

My student's blog is up and running and doing quite well. I'm really excited about it, and I can't wait for us to have access to more computers so that the students can spend more time working on them.

I've been daydreaming lately of returning to school to get my Ph.D and becoming a professor. I have a lot of areas I've become interested in studying such as gender responsive educational programming and teacher retention rates.

Three months into my job and I'm already thinking about my next job. My tendency to always look towards the future is worrisome. I wish I could just enjoy the present and the odd situations my new job puts me in.

Take today for instance: I got to work to find out I was one of only two teachers present at school for the day. You'd think that would mean a really stressful day, but it wasn't as bad as it probably could have been.

When I'm not daydreaming about being a professor, I daydream about being an education journalist and fusing my two passions, writing and education, into a fulfilling career. I wonder if I've been away from journalism too long to enter back into it.

I also dream about just being a mom. I want to have kids and create a beautiful world for them to grow up in. I daydream a lot about spending the day with my baby, and even though I hear about how lonely, isolated, and unappreciated stay-at-home mom's tend to feel, I can't help dreaming about being one from time to time.

Naturally, the thing with that path is that  I'd worry I wasted all this money on my education if I wasn't putting it to use. Plus, my fiance doesn't want us to have a single-income family and would probably resent my decision to stay home. My mom has already told me that there would be no reason for me to stay home with my children the way she stayed home with hers, because I'm likely to have more support than she had.

Anyways, the present is lovely and I need to focus on it. My fiance isn't here, but I've been spending a lot of time with my brother, cousin, aunt, and grandmother. I'm having fun at work putting units together. Right now we are reading a book called Handbook for Boys by Walter Dean Myers. The girls seem to HATE it, so I'm trying to get them to write a handbook for girls and explain how the rules would be the same or different.


Kind of wishing there was a handbook for twenty somethings who don't know what they want to do with their lives.

No comments: