Thursday, January 15, 2009

Literacy History 3


Pencil Bug: The Naturals, originally uploaded by loudstyle.

When I started formal elementary school, I don’t remember much of our reading instruction. I remember handwriting, mainly because my teacher used to chide me for holding my pencil wrong.

I don’t remember receiving excessive praise in the classroom for being able to read or write particularly well. I don’t remember distinguishing between high, low, and medium reading groups.

I struggled with math and numbers, and I recall my teachers paying more attention to that. I had a phonics computer game called Reader Rabbit that I played at home for hours. I also had a Math Blaster game to help me learn my math facts, but I ignored it.

1 comment:

Starr said...

Your literacy history....how much is it from personal memory versus stories you've heard about your childhood?