Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife


I finished reading The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. It was a powerful book. Very sad and beautiful. It made me think a lot about how people are different at different times in their life, and what it would be like to be able to go back at my age and meet myself when I was a child, or go forward and meet my boyfriend when he is in his forties. I often think about how we are not the same people as we were when we first met.

A teacher I worked with two years ago, used to laugh at me when I told him how old I was. He was about to enter his forties, and sometimes I thought we were about the same age in terms of maturity. Anyway, he'd always say, I've been through so many metamorphoses since I was your age. I used to wonder about that a lot. Who knows who we'll be in the next year, let alone the next decade? It's slightly frightening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder about this sometimes too. Recently I was talking to a friend I met in class about how different she'll be in four years (she's four years younger than me). She said she won't change and I replied, "Think about how you were when you were 16. You've changed!"

I think usually our foundations stay the same. Like, I don't think you'll ever become a serial killer. If you do, just remember how nice I am! :)

It's funny because every day you look at yourself and nothing has changed. I'm not different than I was a week ago. But despite not changing every day, we end up changing a lot. Crazy!