Monday, October 20, 2008

My Latest Learning Excursion: Becoming Web Literate



"I hate to read a writer who has written more than he has read." -Samuel Johnson


I recently read this quote in the book Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and other Powerful Web tools for the Classrooms by Will Richardson. It struck a chord within me and seemed to clarify the very purpose of this blog for me: to reflect on the variety of subjects I am reading about and hopefully find others out there who wish to share their opinions with me.

This book has opened my eyes to many creative ways to use the internet in the classroom (should I return to the classroom) and in my personal life. I am learning more than I ever expected about blogs, wikis, RSS, social bookmarks, etc. I am not what you would call "technologically savvy" but Richardson’s writing is so clear, conversational, and straightforward that I’m gaining confidence in my growing web literacy.

I sincerely recommend this book to anyone hoping to learn more about how to use the internet as a tool for transforming themselves from a passive reader of what is on the internet to an active participant. Even though it is written for the classroom, I believe it has potential applications for everything from creating an online book club, to starting an online business, to discovering new forums for learning about whatever it is you want. I've included links for a PDF of the first chapter of the book and to amazon.com so you can see the cover.

As suggested by Johnson above, I hope to grow as a writer by continuously reading. My reading list of the moment includes My Trouble is My English by Danling Fu, Dracula by Bram Stoker, Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld, “O Magazine,” and Totally Joe by James Howe. I cannot wait to share my thoughts on these books and others with you. Please share your thoughts with me, as well.

PDF of Richardson's first chapter

More information about Richardson's book

1 comment:

katie said...

Jayme,
I also think blogs are a great way to share your thoughts about what you are reading and also read others' opinions on the topic.

I noticed that you really like Richardson's book. I thought you might be interested in his blog too. Visit http://weblogg-ed.com/ and check it out!

It shares educational and personal experiences related to technology. I think it is a great resource! Good luck with school!

Katie